Stylebook: Fashions by rising designers at Art Institute of Pittsburgh grad runway show
June 13, 2016 12:00 AM
In 2014, The Art Institute of Pittsburgh graduate fashion show was held at Mansions on Fifth in Shadyside. This year, the event moves to the Omni William Penn hotel, Downtown.
By Sara Bauknecht / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
No need to turn on "Project Runway" to see fashions by aspiring design talents. On Saturday, the Art Institute of Pittsburgh will hold its fourth annual graduate fashion show at the Omni William Penn hotel, Downtown.
Recent grads will show off their design portfolios and compete for awards given by a judging panel made up of Pittsburgh-based fashion experts. The event will be produced by the school's fashion event production class.
It runs from 2 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $5 for children ages 12 and younger, $10 for students, and $20 for general admission at aipittsburghfashion.splashthat.com.
More Pittsburgh fashion news and events ...
• Take care of some last-minute Father's Day shopping during Fifth Avenue Place bonus days. From noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, shoppers will receive a Pittsburgh-themed coaster by photographer Dave DiCello with any retail purchase of at least $25 while supplies last. (fifthavenueplacepa.com)
• Elevate your eyes with an "All about the eyes" workshop at the Gilded Girl Beauty Emporium (5014 Butler St., Lawrenceville) at 7-9 p.m. Thursday. Learn about reducing fine lines, improving discoloration and cosmetic trends to accentuate the eyes. The evening will include wine and light snacks. It's $25 at thegildedgirl.com.
• The Society for Contemporary Craft (2100 Smallman St., Strip District) will mark 45 years -— its sapphire anniversary -— with a special jewelry event at 6-8 p.m. Friday. It will feature handcrafted pieces, including new blue enamel ones, by Alex Raphael, the daughter of society founder Elizabeth Rockwell Raphael. Her designs have been exhibited in Great Britain, Canada, Japan, Europe and across the United States. There will be an artist talk, too. Admission is free, but a $5 donation is suggested at the door. (contemporarycraft.org or 412-261-7003)
• Boho-inspired bridal gowns are part of the latest collection by Daughters of Simone that will be at Glitter & Grit bridal boutique (5300 Butler St., Lawrenceville) Friday through Sunday. Book an appointment to view the collection at www.glitterandgritpgh.com or 412-781-2375.
• Refresh your style during the Worth New York 25th anniversary shopping days. Everything from the latest cozy athleisure wear to chic cocktail looks will be in the Worth New York showroom at 100 Fifth Ave., 10th floor, Downtown. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-877-0464 to book a private shopping appointment.
To have an event considered for Stylebook, email email@example.com.
Get unlimited digital access - web, mobile, tablet, apps and more.